Thursday, October 4, 2007

73-Year Old Man Uses Karate Against Attackers



Continuing our Old Guy Martial Arts theme:

Man, 73, Thwarts Home Robbery With 'Karate Skills'
Oct 03 2007 12:14PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Each morning Bill Garner sips a cup of coffee on the front porch of his north Columbus home. But on Tuesday morning, his routine didn't go as planned when he said two armed men tried to force their way into his home.
Garner, 73, had just stepped outside at about 7 a.m. when two young men confronted him. Garner (pictured, right) said one of the men put a gun in his face and demanded to go inside, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.
"I had a cup of coffee right on the porch like I do every morning and they attacked me," Garner said.
Instead of complying with the men's demands, Garner decided to fight back.
"I didn't let them in the house," Garner said. "What was I supposed to do? Were they supposed to get into my house? No, brother, no."
Garner said he fought back using martial arts, but not before he took some lumps of his own.
"They were surprised because I knew karate, you know?" Garner said. "I got beat up terrible. My arm and beat up in the belly."
After a short struggle, the two men fled from the home, Bell reported.
"I'm 73 years old, I know karate, I know judo, I know everything," Garner said. "Nobody comes into my house without my permission."
Garner said he wanted to defend his home in part because his wife of 51 years recently died, and he did not want anything stolen from the home, Bell reported.
The two men are still at-large, police said.

(D.R.): Thanks to James Keating at COMTECH
(From WBNS-10TV)

No comments: